The Theoretical Physics Programme is one of the academic programmes in the Centre set-up to carry out the mandate of the Centre to develop Physics in the black Africa Through: development of human capacity, management, training and international development through Research and Education. Over the years, the programme had organized short-courses in form of Foundation Postgraduate Courses and Research Oriented Courses, Workshops, Seminars, Conferences and Symposia.
STAFF OF THE DEPARTMENT
One of the problems in Nigeria is provision of supervisions to Doctorate students in Theoretical Physics and exposing young lecturers to new fertile ground for Research. The Theoretical Physics programme as one of its functions is to identify academic leaders in certain research topic and pool them together to:
Of recent the School of Theoretical Physics was charged with the following oversight functions:
- Organize broad based Foundation Postgraduate Course(FPC) or Workshops with the view to:
- Make up for the variations in emphasis in the various first degree courses in the Universities in the country;
- Provide exposure to relevant topics at postgraduate research level and
- Gear-up activities towards national development.
- Follow-up Research Oriented Training Courses (ROTC), which are courses based on (i) and which are expected to lead to the identification, and discussion of recent research results in the area. During ROTC active researchers are invited to give seminars in addition to organizing specialized courses by invited resource persons. The aim of this is to expose the participants to things that are needed to make publication in high impact journals .Moreover, the use of software in problem solving are also elucidated with laboratory exercises given to them to solve problems. The participants are given the opportunities to make use of the resources in the Laboratory and the Mathematical Science Library of the Centre.
- A two or three day Conference /Seminar on the current Research (CCR) in the subject area are organized at the Centre. The proceedings and Lecture notes are published and indexed in standard database or archives.
- The NMC/RMRDC Project on Mathematical Modeling of Raw Material Processing Equipment: The National Mathematical Centre and Raw Material Research and Development Council (NMC/RMRDC) jointly organize mathematical modeling Research on Equipment Processing raw materials. Â The grant was provided by the Raw Material Research and Development Council (RMRDC).The duty of NMC is to manage the administration of research grant for the project.
- International Collaboration and PPP Arrangements: The programme had extended to its tentacles to collaborate with some International Centre of Excellence like the Absalam Institute of the Theoretical Physics and the Centre organized the ICTP/NMC Regional School/Workshop on Statistical Methods and Computational Techniques in Condensed Matter Physics was held in 2009 at the National Mathematical Centre Abuja.
- The International Centre for Basic Research signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Centre and had jointly run the International Seminar on Theoretical Physics and National Development (ISOTPAND) for 2009 under public and private Practice (PPP) arrangement. The Centre and the African Journal of Physics based at the North Carolina University had signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for the purpose of publication of the ISOTPAND 08 & 09 proceedings and The African Journal of Physics from 2010 onward.
ACTIVITIES ORGANIZED/FACILLITATED FROM 2006 T0 2013
National Mathematical Centre, Abuja (NMC) and the International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste (ICTP) signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) in Trieste Italy. The Centre was represented by Prof. S O Ale the former Director General of the Centre, Clem Adeyemo, the formal Registrar and the Dr. James Daniel the former Librarian to the Centre.
- Foundation Postgraduate Course in Astronomy was organized and 11 Participant attended.
- Resource Persons
- As a bye product of the MOU the Centre signed with ICTP
- The School of Computational Condensed Matter Physics (November 5 â€“ 16, 2007).Â More than 40 participants took part in the school with eight (8) resource persons from Europe and America.
- The Centre refunded the N250, 000 annual subscription of Nigeria to IMU paid by the Nigeria Mathematical Society.
- The Centre sponsored four (4) Nigerians to join the Statistical Physics and Application Research Group in ICTP Trieste, Italy. The invited persons were:
The visit was from 1st â€“ 24th December, 2007.
- Assoc. Prof. B.O. Oyelami, NMC
- Prof. A.R.T. Solarin NMC
- Dr. Tijani Abba A.B.U Zaria
- Prof. M. Osilike UNN, Nsukka.
- National Mathematical Centre signed MOU with International Centre for Basic Research (ICBR) Abuja signed by Prof. Alex Animalu and the DG of NMC Prof. S.O Ale.
- Abdulsalam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) Trieste, Italy through Dr. G.A. Adebayo from University of Agriculture Abeokuta.
- The first International Seminar on Theoretical Physics and National Development (ISOTPAND08) took place from August 26th â€“ 28th, 2008 at the Merit house Abuja. This was organized to pay tribute to Prof. Emeritus Alex Animalu. The Centre supported the programme.
- The Second International Seminar on Theoretical Physics and National Development (ISOTPAND09) was organized in the Centre on July 5th â€“ 8th, 2009. The Centre signed MOU with African Journal of Physics (Registered in USA) and the Editor was Prof. Michael Kebede, University of North Carolina Greensboro USA to publish the subsequent editions of ISOTPAND in printed and online forms with ISSN registered with Library of Congress USA.
- December 2009 â€“ Three beneficiaries were selected for NMC/RMRDC grants.
- The biography of Late Chief (Dr) Laz Abeecheta Unuogu (1949 â€“ 2004) was presented at the ISOTPAND09 at a round table discussion. About 99 participants attended the ISOTPAND09.
- Foundation Postgraduate Course on Isomathematics and Computational Physics (11th â€“ 17th July, 2010) was held and participants 70 attended.
- 3rd International Seminar on Theoretical Physics and National Development (ISOTPAND 2010) July 18th â€“ 23rd, 2010) was held and 150 participants attended. Plenary Speaker for ISOTPAND 2010 was Prof. A.P.Macline, the Director & CEO, Nova link USA.
- 70th Birthday and launching of Biography of Late Prof. Emeritus J.O.C Ezeilo (23rd July, 2010), 200 persons attended at Sheraton hotel in Abuja and National University Commission (NMC) sponsored the programme.
- Foundation Postgraduate Course on Geomathematics and Computational Approaches using Python (July 10th â€“ 16th, 2011), 70 participants attended.
- 4th International Seminar on Theoretical Physics and National Development in (ISOTPAND 2011) July 17th â€“ 22th, 2011. Invited plenary Speaker was Prof. Kebede M, University of North Carolina Greensboro, USA
- Seminar presentation by the 2010/2011 NMC/RMRDC awardees of the Mathematical Modeling of Processing Equipment. (19th May, 2011) Presenters were:
- Engr. Dr. Mrs. Taiwo Ademuluye, River state university Port Harcourt
- Dr. O.A. koya (Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife)
- Engr. Bertrand Ndoka Nwankwojike. (Michael Okpara University Umudike).
- Workshop on Mathematical Modeling and Simulation was organized at the Centre on 7-14 December 2011, 17 Participants attended.
- International Conference on Mathematical Modeling and Simulation (December 14th â€“ 16ths, 2011) was held.
- The ISOTPAND12 was organized at the National Mathematical Centre, Abuja, Nigeria (July 15-19) invited speakers was Prof. T B. Davis an Israelis Scholar based in USA.
- Foundation Postgraduate Course was on Nanoelectronics and Computational Physics with Practical using Python programming,
- Workshop on Mathematical Modeling and Simulation was organized at the Centre on 8-12 October 2012, 50 Participants attended.
- Seminar was presented by the 2010/2011 NMC/RMRDC Awardees of the Mathematical Modeling of Processing Equipment. (10th August, 2012).
- WORKSHOP ON NUCLEAR REACTION THEORY AND CROSS SECTION DATA DETERMINATION USING COMPUTER CODES was held on (5-10 May, 2013) and 50 Participants attended.
- ISOTPAND 13: Foundation Postgraduate CourseÂ (July 9 â€“ 15, 2013)
The foundation postgraduate course was held on: Iso-, Geno- and Hyper-mathematics for Hadronic Mechanics; Consciousness â€“ Physics, Logic and Mathematical Linguistics of African World View and Computational Approaches for Science and Engineering using Python. A two day ISOTPAND Seminar (July 14-15 ,2013) was held at the Centre as planned with Prof. Eric Turil and his wife from Sweden in attendance .All together 100 participants attended ISOTPAND 13
2013 PLANNED ACTIVITIES
- DATA DETERMINATION USING COMPUTER CODES
5-10 May, 2013)
IÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â LECTURES: NUCLEAR REACTION THEORY
IIÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â WORKSHOP: USE OF COMPUTER CODES FOR NUCLEAR REACTION CROSS SECTION DETERMINATION & DATA RETRIEVAL EXERCISES
PARTICIPANTS: Â Â Â Â GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NUCLEAR PHYSICS, NUCLEAR ENGINEERING AND COMPUTATIONAL NUCLEAR SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
Introduction: The atomic nucleus, types of reactions (i.e. mechanisms); kinematics of nuclear reactions; elastic collisions (relativistic and non-relativistic); non-elastic collisions; threshold energy, Q-value; nuclear reaction cross sections and nomenclature: Models of nuclear reactions; optical model; compound nucleus model; direct reaction model; pre-equilibrium model: Determination of nuclear reaction cross sections: experimental techniques; calculation methods and data retrieval from IAEA Nuclear Data Centre; computer codes (EXIFON 2.0, EXFOR data library): Applications of nuclear reactions
- PROF. S.A. JONAH, , ABU, ZARIA
- Prof M.N. Agu, Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission, Abuja
- Prof L.A. Dim, Centre for Energy Research and Training,
Ahmadu Bello University Zaria
The Workshop was held with 50 participants attended
6th International Seminar on Theoretical Physics and National Development (ISOTPAND2013) ( July 9 â€“ Â July 18, 2013)Â
The 6th International Seminar on Theoretical Physics and National Development (ISOTPAND2013) will be held from Monday July 9 â€“ Thursday July 18, 2013 @ the National Mathematical Centre (NMC), Abuja, Nigeria
THEME:Â Foundation Postgraduate Course & Entrepreneurial Mobilization for Science-Based Enterprises
Foundation Postgraduate Course on three topics (July 9 â€“ 15, 2013)
The foundation postgraduate course is open to M.Sc and PhD students, Postdocs, eager beginners and other interested researchers in these fields.
- Iso-, Geno- and Hyper-mathematics for Hadronic Mechanics
- Consciousness â€“ Physics, Logic and Mathematical Linguistics of African World View.
- Computational Approaches for Science and Engineering using Python
Deadline for Application: June 8, 2013
Full papers prepared according to the recommended guidelines must be submitted 30 days after the meeting. Like in previous meetings, all papers will be peer reviewed and those accepted will appear as a special issue of the African Journal of Physics catalogued in the US as follows:
ISSN PRINT: 1948-0229; CD ROM: 1948-0245 and ONLINE: 1948-0237
Deadline for Abstract Submission: June 8, 2013
Already held with 100 persons participated in programme
WORKSHOP ON MATHEMATICAL MODELLING AND SIMULATION (November 24 â€“ 29, 2013)
Fundamental concepts of mathematical modeling.Â Axiomatic systems and logical models and applications in ecology, biomedicine, economics engineering and in the industry.Â Stability analysis of physical and biological systems.Â Computer simulation:Â Fundamental simulation concepts, simulation languages.Â Random number generators and applications to simulation process.Â Monte Carlo simulation and application to industrial problems like hazard, reliability and life expectancy of equipment.Â Medical imaging application of simulation in surgery and for medical system.Â Experimental Session:Â Application of simulation packages like maple, Mathematica, Matlab, Scilab, O ‘matrix, Femilab, MathCAD professional and Python programming language.
- Professor Gbadeyan ,University of Ilorin,ilorin
- Professor S. O. Enebe, University of Nigeria
- Professor L. A.A Asere,Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife
- Professor B. O. Oyelami, NMC Abuja
- Professor Femi O. Taiwo, Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife
- Dr. Benjamin Okike,University of Abuja
Course fee: N20, 000=. The amount registration only it excludes feeding, accommodation and transportation feesÂ
WORKSHOPÂ ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF E-LEARNING AND SIMULATION FACILITIES FOR BIOLOGICAL AND BIOMEDICAL SYSTEMS
(4-9 December, 2013)
Fundamental concepts of mathematical modeling and simulation, introduction of biological and biomedical systems, e.g. Cells organs, enzymes, cellular and intracellular transportation, medical imaging and applications in surgery and medical systems.Â Fundamental concepts of Mathematical modeling and simulation.Â Introduction of Biological and biomedical systems e.g. Cells, organs, enzymes, cellular and intracellular transportation.Â Medical imaging and applications in Surgery and medical systems. Animation:Â Frame by frame capture and playback, on the fly Graphic object manipulation.Â GUI Design for biological and biomedical system.Â Development of animation and GUI for some selected biological and biomedical models such as HIV/AIDS.e-learning:Â Fundamental of e-learning and types of e-learning materials.Â The use of multimedia facilities in design and implementation of e-learning materials.
- Professor B. O. Oyelami, NMC Abuja
- Professor J. A. OgidiÂ NMC Abuja
- Professor F.W.O. Saporu, University of Maiduguri
- Professor Oluwande, Salem University, Lokoja.
- Professor. Dr, Jun Yan CAS-MPG Partner Institute and Key Lab for Computational Biology (PICB)
Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences (SIBS) Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS)
- Professor. Dr. Andreas Deutsch Centre for Information Services and High Performance Computing (ZIH)
Technical University Dresden
- Professor Dr. Philippe Blanchard University of -Bielefeld. Germany
- ProfessorÂ Dr. Juergen Jost, Director of the MPI for "Mathematics in the Sciences" in Leipzig
Course fee: N30,000= The amount registration only it excludes feeding, accommodation and transportation fees