The National Mathematical Centre, Abuja’s quest for improvement in its service delivery through the expansion of her revenue base and better global recognition of her activities through their internationalization led to the birth of the International Linkages and Advancement Office (ILAO), as an arm of the Office of the current Director and Chief Executive, National Mathematical Centre, Abuja, Professor Adewale Solarin, FMAN, in November, 2013.
Mandates of the Linkages and Advancement Office
International Linkages and Advancement Office (ILAO) was established to provide a platform to seek, cultivate and administer opportunities for collaboration, linkageswith other institutions, agencies, corporate bodies both in the national and international contexts as well as foster partnerships with industries and fundraising/endowment administration.
Our Vision is of a National Mathematical Centre, Abuja, Nigeria, widely acknowledged for the development of appropriate initiatives and resources of international standing for the re-awakening and sustaining of interest in the mathematical sciences and their applications to life, for the advancement and developmental pursuit of the Centre, through effective local and international partnerships as well as produce specialists and teachers in the Mathematical Sciences at all levels of our educational system.
To enhance the image of National Mathematical Centre by establishing and sustaining mutually beneficial relationships with important stakeholders with a view to bringing about significant and sustained financial and material support for the attainment of the goals of the Centre, through partnering with high profile institutions; contributing to the building of the Centre’s reputation through strengthened capacity development; conducting research and community development collaboration;facilitating engagements where the existence of a formal agreement is required and providing support, advice and assistance to the academic and administrative units of the Centre to facilitate internationalization in their respective spheres.
Mr. Clement Adeyemo
Coordinator of Unit
Miss Ohiobo Ojeamiren
Mr. Festus Emoefo
The following are the objectives of the International Linkages and Advancement Office:
- To nurture local and international administrative and research linkages, partnerships, collaborative arrangements based on well-defined Agreements and/or Memoranda (and Articles) of Understanding and expanding the Centre’s academic programs to have more of a global perspective.
- To facilitate, co-ordinate and manage Linkages between the Centre and National, International Agencies/Institutions, Industries and Donor Organizations/Development Partners.
- To spearhead the sourcing of funds and equipment/facilities support from Corporate Organizations locally and from abroad for collaborative sponsorship of Research and Capacity Building.
- To promote, facilitate, and assess programs of international collaboration between Centre and renowned institutions. This collaboration can be achieved in several ways: faculty or student exchange, exchange of materials, research participation and involvement, and shared conference planning are only some of the possibilities.
- To be responsible for integrating an international and global dimension into all of the activities of the Centre.
- To develop collaborative agreements with institutions of higher learning internationally as well as with the corporate world in areas of strategic benefits.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned by the Director and Chief Executive from time to time.
Since its establishment, the International Linkages and Advancement Office has been involved in a series of activities aimed at actualizing the mandate it was given. Some of these activities have involved seeking for areas of collaboration and linkages with international agencies, universities and academic Centres of learning generally for the purpose of conducting joint research and publication; graduate studies training; joint international conferencing and many other academic and administrative contacts.
The Centre has put in a lot to drive a visible presence on the local and international scene via the establishment of networks and partnership across different universities. At the moment, the Centre has established multiple linkages with universities around the world. The ILAO directs all programs of the Centre in the areas of global community service, institution building, and networking. The role of the ILAO is to lead the development of internationalization at NMC by acting as the central coordinator and facilitator of all internationally related initiatives and activities. The International Linkages & Advancement Office is tasked to promote, facilitate, and assess programs of international collaboration between National Mathematical Centre and renowned institutions.
This Collaboration can be achieved in several ways: faculty or student exchange, exchange of materials, research participation and involvement, and shared conference planning are only some of the possibilities. Both the cooperating institution and NMC should be able to gain from the relationship. Sometimes these goals are achieved through bilateral agreements and at other times through networks of participating institutions.
- UNESCO Chair Programme in Mathematics at National Mathematical Centre, Abuja, Nigeria: The Agreement between UNESCO and the National Mathematical Centre formally establishing the Chair is yet to be received and signed by the Hon. Minister of Education, Federal Ministry of Education, Abuja.
- UNESCO Regional Office, Abuja: Several visits are on-going to further the collaboration. Discussions have started on the proposal for category II UNESCO Regional Centre in Mathematical Sciences at NMC.
- NATCOM-UNESCO: various visits had been made to the Nigerian National Commission for UNESCO to further the collaboration. Discussions have also started on the proposal for category II UNESCO Regional Centre in Mathematical Sciences at NMC.
- NEPAD Nigeria: various visits had been made by ILAO to further the collaboration especially with regard to inauguration of the Joint NEPAD-NMC Technical Committee. There has been no joint project for now.
- Communication Towers Nigeria Limited (CTNL): (MOU had been signed. There have been joint projects on e-mock examinations in the South East Zone of the country.
- Institute of Pure and Applied Mathematics (IMPA) Brazil: (MOU approved but yet to be signed.)
- Ajaokuta Steel Company Limited (ASCL): (Still working details that will drive an MOU).
- Tangier International Nigeria Ltd: (Still working details that will drive an MOU).
- IBADAN Business School, Ibadan. (MOU already signed).
- GODAMS Technologies: (Still working details that will drive an MOU).
- African Mathematical Union (AMU): (Still working details that will drive an MOU).
- Minerva Schools at KGI: (Still working details that will drive an MOU).
- Catholic University Institute of BUEA:(Still working details that will drive an MOU).
- Carnegie African Diaspora Program (ADP): (Still working details that will drive an MOU).
It is with pride we introduce to you these highly respected and leading corporate bodies and agencies who are willing to partner with us to achieve our goals.
- Oil Producing Trade Section (OPTS)
- Exxon Mobil Oil/Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited
- Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC)
- National Universities Commission (NUC)
- Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFUND)
- Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
- African Development Bank (ADB)
- African Mathematical Union (AMU)
- The World Bank
- National Mathematical Society (NMS)
- Mathematical Association of Nigeria (MAN)
- Shell Petroleum/Chevron Petroleum
- TY Danjuma Foundation
- MTN, ETISALAT, GLO, AIRTEL
- Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF)
- NCC, NERC, RMRDC, NIMET, NASRDA, NIGCOMSAT, NEMA, NWRI/IRBM, NOSDRA, Energy Commission of Nigeria, NBTA,
- All Nigerian Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education
- Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
- International Mathematics Union (IMU)
- Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
- Zenith Bank, Access Bank, WEMA Bank, UBA, Diamond Bank, First Bank, etc
- Danish International Development Agency (DANIDA)