CAPACITY BUILDING WORKSHOP FOR MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES LECTURERS IN TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS ON THE TEACHING OF MATHEMATICS AND STATISTICS.
Theme: Improving the Capacity of Mathematics Science Lecturers on Teaching and Research
Date: 10th – 15th November, 2013
There is great need for lecturers to keep refreshing their knowledge and keep updating themselves with the latest idea and methodologies of teaching. This is necessary because of the dynamism of mathematics instruction and updating the strategies of effective teaching.
In fact, one of the primary responsibilities of the Centre is the improvement of the teaching and learning of Mathematical Sciences at all levels. This is predicated on the fact that the teaching and the learning of the present time needs much attention. One major strategy to improve teachers' effectiveness in the classroom is the retraining of Lecturers.
The main objective of this workshop is to create opportunity for the Lecturers of Mathematical Sciences in tertiary institutions to acquire more teaching skills through exposure to basic concepts and strategies for modern teachings.
Specifically, the objectives of the workshop are to:
- Identify basic principles of modern teachings in the Mathematical Sciences;
- Updating lecturers with knowledge of basic concepts in Mathematics and Statistics at the tertiary level; and
- Improve their skills in in carrying out research activities in the Mathematical Sciences
I hereby commended all the contributors to this volume of the lecture notes which is designed to improve the competence and teaching skills of the Mathematical Sciences Lecturers.
- Prof. C. Bolaji (A.B.U. Zaria)
- Prof. E. Teju Jolayemi (University of Ilorin, Ilorin)
- Prof. Ikhile Monday (University of Benin, Benin City)
- Associate Prof. S. Kurumeh (University of Keffi, Nassarawa State)
OLYMPIAD MATHEMATICS TRAINING WORKSHOP FOR MATHEMATIC TEACHERS OF GIRLS/CO EDUCATIONAL SCHOOLS
The National Mathematical Centre (NMC) Abuja recently organised special training workshop for mathematic teachers of girls/co-educational schools. The workshop was scheduled from Sunday 3rd to Saturday 9th November 2013 and it was handled by experts from within and outside the Nigeria so as to prepare students for Mathematics Olympiads for Girls.
The objectives of the workshop were:
- To encourage girls and women to study and to have active careers in the mathematical sciences.
- To promote equal opportunity for girls and women in the mathematical sciences.
- To promote equal treatment of girls and women in mathematical sciences
- To nurture and accelerate the growth of world class female mathematicians in Nigeria
- To encourage students to partake in prestigious mathematics competitions like PAMO, IMO etc.
Resource persons were:
- Prof. Mark Saul
- Prof. Paul Vanderlind
- Prof. J. A. Ogidi
- Mr. S. D. Oluwaniyi
At the end of the conference participants were given certificates and some materials. One of the materials was a book titled ‘An Introduction to Mathematical Olympiads Problems’, written by Adewale Solarin and Derick Holton. Prof. Mark also gave out lecture notes and Day1 and Day 2 solutions for Euro Girls Mathematical Olympiad (EGMO 2012).
STAFF FORUM WITH 4TH GOVERNING COUNCIL MEMBER
The Management and entire staff community of the National Mathematics Centre held a forum with the 4th Governing council of members on the Monday 4th of November 2013. The Management Team of the Centre received the Chairman, Senator Abubakar H. Girei and Council Members at the administrative block of the centre while the forum held at auditorium.
The meeting began with the introduction of the Council Members which was followed by a welcome address by the Director and Chief Executive of the Centre. He was delighted to welcome the members of the council. He noted that the present team of Council members were star studded and made up of excellent academicians. He said their leadership will attract stakeholders to the centre.
The Chairman in his response said he was glad to be part of the team. He also stated that he was most interested in the welfare of the staff.
The meeting ended with closing remarks from the Ag. Registrar, Mall. A. M. Biu.
After the meeting there was a guided tour of the Centre’s facilities.